Instructor Prep is a great for those looking to make the leap from taking lessons to teaching them! Taught by certified Level 1 Course Instructors, you will learn to teach ski or snowboard beginner lessons to the Level 1 standard. This is also the first step to becoming part of the Glen Eden Snow School Apprentice Program.
Meeting Location: Base of Ridge Chair
Lesson Duration: 1.5 hour
Average Ratio: 8:1
Ability Level: 6+ minimum
Progression Options: Academy Programs, Private Lessons, Teach at Glen Eden!
2019-2020 Program Pricing
|Early Bird Rate
|8 Week Program (1.5 hr)||$320||$352||$387|
Please note that 8 week programs will break for the Saturday, Sunday and Monday of Family Day weekend. A make-up lesson will be arranged for an alternate week.
Volunteer & Apprentice Program
The Glen Eden Snow School is a fantastic place for skiers and boarders to get their start and get hooked on a rewarding winter activity. It also happens to be a phenomenal place for instructors and coaches to get their start and develop their passion and ability to teach others. The Glen Eden Snow School offers a 2 step process to help keen skiers and snowboarders become instructors and coaches.
Involves becoming a Snow School Volunteer for the season. Snow School Volunteers receive a volunteer pass, assist with classes on lifts, gain access to training with the snow school, and receive access to taking their Level 1 Instructor Prep course at a discounted rate.
Targets those who show great interest and promise of becoming instructors and coaches. This stage of development involves becoming a full Snow School Apprentice. Candidates must be selected by the Snow School for this opportunity. Apprentices are paired with a mentor instructor or coach and provided outstanding opportunities to train and develop their abilities with the guidance of their mentor. Apprentices receive in-depth training from the Snow School, targeting the completion of their Level 1 Ski, Snowboard or Entry Level Coach certification.
Snow School Volunteer (Step 1)
- Minimum 13 yrs of age by December 1st
- Strong intermediate skier or snowboarder(Level 6)
- Able to volunteer 1 day each weekend (Saturday or Sunday) during 8-week programs + 1 camp of their choosing
- Volunteers save 30% on their Level 1 Prep Course
Snow School Apprentice (Step 2)
- Minimum 14 yrs of age by December 1st
- Advanced skier or snowboarder (Level 7)
- Completion of Level 1 Prep course strongly recommended
- Completion of the Snow School Volunteer Program is suggested
- Candidates must be selected by the snow school to gain admission into the program
- Apprentice must be able to commit to working alongside their mentor for a minimum of 1-weekend shift + 1 weeknight through the 8-week program OR 1 camp of their choosing
Visit our Employment page to apply for Volunteer or Apprentice opportunities
Certification Courses (15+): Once you are ready, becoming a certified instructor requires certification with the Canadian Ski Instructors Alliance (C.S.I.A.), or Canadian Association of Snowboard Instructors (C.A.S.I.). Other nice to have certfications would be a Coaching desgination from Canadian Ski Coaches Federation, or Canada Snowboard.
Glen Eden is proud to host several courses with each organization every season. Be sure to check out Ski Courses: www.snowpro.com or Snowboard Courses: www.casi-acms.com for course dates, fees and online registration. Coaching courses can be found at www.canskicoach.org and www.canadasnowboard.ca